At NPO Crossroads, our fundamental mission is to provide an objective, user friendly, participative, credible and unbiased website that offers leaders and managers of community-based nonprofit organizations–you–news and management information in ways specifically designed to enhance individual and organizational performance.
- “Roaring” Through a Life of Learning (4/9/2019) - “Roaring” Through a Life of Learning A Vietnamese proverb about a mouse sticking his head in the mouth of a large carnivore may, at first consideration, seem a strange way to view our lives as life-long learners. “…the mouse does not know life until it has been into the mouth of the cat.” -Vietnamese proverb … Continue reading “Roaring” Through a Life of Learning
- Management degree (3/12/2019) - A Graduate Certificate or Degree in Management…or Not Should a graduate management degree or certificate be included in my plans to advance my career as a senior manager of a charitable-philanthropic-nonprofit organization? This is a big question – and one with an expensive price tag. What factors should I consider? The news media tell us … Continue reading Management degree
- Perspectives on Ethics: When I am vulnerable, can I trust you? (2/17/2019) - Is it ethical can often be determined by asking: when I am vulnerable, can I trust you? Perspectives on Ethics Ethics and Social Theory Hosmer (1995) traces the fundamentals of ethics to a variety of social theories that deal with an individual’s need to feel secure – to be comfortable in approaching interactions with others, … Continue reading Perspectives on Ethics: When I am vulnerable, can I trust you?
- Views from a strategic mirror (2/17/2019) - Background: The NPO Strategic Mirror is a convenient tool for senior leaders of nonprofit organization to better understand how — or whether — the organization’s strategic planning and deployment are directly linked to outcomes and results that demonstrate improved mission and public purpose accomplishment. This strategic directions profiling and self-assessment resource is based on the … Continue reading Views from a strategic mirror
- Transformational Leaders or Paragon Leaders? (2/11/2019) - Is the "paragon leader” construct what we will need in order to grow voluntary sector capacity and improved organizational performance to the levels it will take to sustain our nation's quality of life as the future becomes the present?
- Motivating Volunteers: What the Management Model Reminds Us… (1/20/2019) - Management activities taking place within a typical volunteer resource management program when arranged in the logical sequence derived from the PDCA continuous improvement cycle concept provide program leaders with the ability to establish and sustain a volunteer program that learns from its successes and constantly improves as performance. The link between our national quality of … Continue reading Motivating Volunteers: What the Management Model Reminds Us…
- Nonprofit Management Career Field (1/15/2019) - Since the Filer Commission In 1983, Independent Sector sponsored “Since the Filer Commission,” a research forum conducted in New York, ten years after the Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs had concluded its two-year study into private philanthropic initiatives. The Filer Commission had published its report, Giving in America: Toward a Stronger Voluntary Sector, … Continue reading Nonprofit Management Career Field
- Myths of Aging (11/11/2018) - Granny and the Geezer: How myths, stereotypes and prejudice fuel ageism–the Golden Years through a glass darkly. The Golden years are here at last. I cannot see, I cannot pee. I cannot chew, I cannot screw. My memory shrinks, my hearing stinks. No sense of smell, I look like hell. The Golden years have come … Continue reading Myths of Aging