At NPO Crossroads, our fundamental mission is to provide an objective, user friendly, participative, credible and unbiased website that offers leaders and managers of community-based nonprofit organizations–you–news and management information in ways specifically designed to enhance individual and organizational performance.
- “Roaring” Through a Life of Learning (4/9/2019) - “Roaring” Through a Life of Learning A Vietnamese proverb about a mouse sticking his head in the mouth of a large carnivore may, at first consideration, seem a strange way to view our lives as life-long learners. “…the mouse does not know life until it has been into the mouth of the cat.” -Vietnamese proverb … Continue reading “Roaring” Through a Life of Learning
- Perspectives on Ethics: When I am vulnerable, can I trust you? (2/17/2019) - Is it ethical can often be determined by asking: when I am vulnerable, can I trust you? Perspectives on Ethics Ethics and Social Theory Hosmer (1995) traces the fundamentals of ethics to a variety of social theories that deal with an individual’s need to feel secure – to be comfortable in approaching interactions with others, … Continue reading Perspectives on Ethics: When I am vulnerable, can I trust you?
- Motivating Volunteers: What the Management Model Reminds Us… (1/20/2019) - Management activities taking place within a typical volunteer resource management program when arranged in the logical sequence derived from the PDCA continuous improvement cycle concept provide program leaders with the ability to establish and sustain a volunteer program that learns from its successes and constantly improves as performance. The link between our national quality of … Continue reading Motivating Volunteers: What the Management Model Reminds Us…
- Nonprofit Management Career Field (1/15/2019) - Since the Filer Commission In 1983, Independent Sector sponsored “Since the Filer Commission,” a research forum conducted in New York, ten years after the Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs had concluded its two-year study into private philanthropic initiatives. The Filer Commission had published its report, Giving in America: Toward a Stronger Voluntary Sector, … Continue reading Nonprofit Management Career Field
- Myths of Aging (11/11/2018) - Granny and the Geezer: How myths, stereotypes and prejudice fuel ageism–the Golden Years through a glass darkly. The Golden years are here at last. I cannot see, I cannot pee. I cannot chew, I cannot screw. My memory shrinks, my hearing stinks. No sense of smell, I look like hell. The Golden years have come … Continue reading Myths of Aging
- The Way Ahead for Charities: E/EAT-ing Towards Excellence (2/27/2016) - Recent discussions in national media, including the WSJ, have highlighted the undeniable need by our charitable organizations to significantly improve their effectiveness, efficiency, accountability and transparency (E/EAT). Some have framed the national dialogue for improved E/EAT as a choice or trade-off by charities between embracing societal values emphasizing more economical allocation and expenditure of public … Continue reading The Way Ahead for Charities: E/EAT-ing Towards Excellence
- Resolving False Dilemma by Achieving Excellence (2/22/2016) - The Way Ahead: Resolving False Dilemma by Achieving Excellence by Dr. Tracy D. Connors Journalists, commentators, and even some researchers, tend to view national pressures on charities to improve Effectiveness, Efficiency, Accountability and Transparency (E/EAT), through the perspective of “them” versus “us.” Instead, a better understanding of this artificial polarity can be achieved by viewing … Continue reading Resolving False Dilemma by Achieving Excellence
- Effective Organizations: Purposeful and Mission-focused (2/11/2016) - Effective Organizations Effectiveness is one of the three overarching management domains that define and characterize self-renewing organizations, the others including Efficiency and Transformational Organization. An effective organization, regardless of the sector in which it operates, has a valid purpose that is continually adjusted to its surroundings and context as it focuses on how to accomplish … Continue reading Effective Organizations: Purposeful and Mission-focused